'Banking info gone before I got groceries back to car,' warns shopper after finding theft device on self-checkout | 0K91R8M | 2024-04-22 17:08:01
A SHOPPER discovered a device used to steal people's credit card data installed at the self-checkout machine at his local grocery store.
The man noticed a discrepancy in the machine, flagging the shop's workers and preventing dozens of people from getting scammed.


John Perry Miller discovered a card-skimming device while shopping at a Safeway location in Washington, D.C.
After spotting the device, Perry Miller reached out to one of the store's employees, sharing that he found a skimmer in the store.
The worker was initially dismissive but ultimately helped Perry Miller, with the two removing the skimmer from the self-checkout machine.
"I went back to my car and I was sort of in shock," said Perry Miller to The Hoya.
"If I had put my debit card, they would've had all my banking information before I got my groceries back to my car."
Perry Miller relayed how he discovered the card-skimmer.
"I get to the kiosk and I scan my items and I notice that, on the credit card machine, the screen and the frame were pretty well used, but the keypad was brand new," he said.
These devices are illegally installed on point-of-sale (POS) terminals, recording the data on people's cards.
Criminals are usually nearby and connected to the devices.
This allows them to access the data and use it to create fake debit and credit cards, stealing money from their victims.
<!-- End of Brightcove Player --> Card skimming thefts are responsible for about $1 billion a year, reports the FBI.
The FBI suggests inspecting all POS and ATM terminals thoroughly before using them.
You should be wary of any device that feels unusual, keeping an eye out for any loose, crooked, or scratched parts.
"Pull at the edges of the keypad before entering your PIN. Then, cover the keypad when you enter your PIN to prevent cameras from recording your entry," suggests the FBI.
Perry-Miller spoke with various outlets, suggesting that Safeway customers check their bank statements.
"If you shop at the Georgetown Safeway, I'd be checking your bank statements," he said to NBC affiliate, WRC-TV.
Following the notoriety of Perry-Miller's case, Safeway shared a statement claiming they're working on their store's security measures.
"Safeway takes these issues seriously and is investigating this matter, in coordination with law enforcement, to ensure appropriate action has been taken," read the statement.
"In addition, we have implemented additional controls and associate training to help prevent this type of activity in the future."
</div> </div></p><div class="hashtags">#banking #info #gone #before #got #groceries #back #car #warns #shopper #finding #theft #device #selfcheckout #US #UK #NZ #PH #NY #LNDN #Manila #Money </div></div> More >> https://ift.tt/oE93fAZ Source: MAG NEWS