Category 1

Blanche won't rule out Trump 'weaponization' fund payouts to January 6 rioters who assaulted police

By Dan Rosenzweig-Ziff

Reuters

WASHINGTON, May 19 (Reuters) - U.S. acting Attorney General Todd Blanche told lawmakers on Tuesday that he could not commit to barring money from President Donald Trump's newly announced "weaponization" fund from going to people ‌who assaulted police officers, including during the January 6, 2021, Capitol riot.

Blanche, in his first congressional testimony since ‌ascending to the top of the Justice Department after Pam Bondi's firing last month, also told Democratic senators that he could not commit to barring ​any of the nearly $1.8 billion from the settlement going to Trump campaign donors.

The Justice Department on Monday created a nearly $1.8 billion fund to compensate victims of political "weaponization" to settle a lawsuit Trump had filed against his own government over the alleged mishandling of his tax records.

The pool of money will be controlled by Trump allies who can give payments to those who claim to have suffered "weaponization ‌or lawfare" by the U.S. government.

In questioning, ⁠Blanche denied that Trump "set up" the settlement fund. He said the five-member settlement commission, four of whom he'll directly appoint, will act independently. And he argued that former President Barack Obama's Justice ⁠Department had overseen a similar fund, though that one was signed off by a federal judge.

"The president did not direct me to do anything," he said, later adding that the fund's money could be given to members of any political party and is not limited ​to January ​6 defendants. The standard for who will get money, he said, ​is defined broadly by those who experienced "weaponization."

"What we’re ‌talking about is nothing short of the sitting president of the United States looting from the Treasury for his own gain," said Senator Patty Murray, a Democrat from Washington state. "Do you seriously think this arrangement is appropriate?"

Advertisement

Since Trump took office, the Justice Department has sought prosecutions against his enemies, dropped charges against his allies and seen the corps of the nation's top law enforcement department drop by 8,500 staff.

The over two-hour hearing grew tense at times as Democrats and Blanche sparred over the ‌fund and department's handling of the Jeffrey Epstein investigation. It also underscored ​near-unanimous efforts by Republicans and Blanche to defend the president's agenda.

Most Republican lawmakers ​heaped praise on Blanche for reversing what they ​saw as weak and vindictive law enforcement from the Biden administration and complemented Blanche for making Americans ‌safer.

Senator Susan Collins, a Republican from Maine, though, ​asked Blanche how and to whom ​the funds would be doled out.

Blanche said the commission would act independently and issue quarterly reports to the attorney general, details of which will be provided to lawmakers. He said anyone could apply and be considered.

Collins said ​the money would come from a judgment fund ‌used for other government settlements.

Blanche also faced questions about his department's handling of the Epstein investigation. The ​acting attorney general said he would commit to not recommending a pardon for former Epstein associate Ghislaine Maxwell.

(Reporting ​by Dan Rosenzweig-Ziff. Editing by Michael Learmonth and Alistair Bell)

Blanche won't rule out Trump 'weaponization' fund payouts to January 6 rioters who assaulted police

By Dan Rosenzweig-Ziff WASHINGTON, May 19 (Reuters) - U.S. acting Attorney General Todd Blanche told lawmakers on Tuesday that he...
Victor Wembanyama has BEEN 'the best player in the f***ing world' — and this is only the beginning

I won’t blame you if your jaw hit the floor watchingVictor Wembanyama score his 41 pointsin the thrilling Game 1 win over the Oklahoma City Thunder. The 30-foot, Steph-esque 3-pointer in overtime. The mind-melting dunks all over OKC’s defense. Pure cinema.

Yahoo Sports

Feel free to shake your head at the fact that he pulled down 24 rebounds, which was more than the entire OKC starting lineup. Add in that he swatted away three OKC offerings and held the Thunder to 35.7% shootingon twoswhile he was on the floor. That’s all great.

But the craziest number of all is 22 — the number of years that Wembanyama has been alive.

“Best player in the f***ing world,” his teammate Stephon Castle said after the game.

Advertisement

To be clear, that was a reminder, not an announcement. I understand why folks have been reluctant to crown Wembanyama as The Best Player In The F’ing World because we’ve been conditioned to wait until it feels safer. Wait until they hit their prime. Wait until their team has won the championship. Wait until … well, they’re older than 22 f***ing years old.

But as a basketball species, Wemby is different, hence the alien moniker. He’s taller than everybody, yes, but the true differentiator is that he’s processing the game quicker than anyone. I noticed his processing power two years ago when I wrote that he was on theGOAT path. I doubled down this season when I predicted in October that he’d win MVPthis season(he qualified under the 65-game rule, but I don’t think he played enough minutes to convince voters).

So as someone who has been touting Wemby perhaps earlier than most (too early at times!), let me say this: Monday’s Game 1 supernova didn’t establish him as the best player in the galaxy. Because healreadysnatched that mystical accolade weeks ago from Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Nikola Jokić or whichever name you throw into that pile.

We can look at the measurables, which have been admittedly warped downward by Wembanyama’s unexpected absences. The Game 2 concussion against Portland and Game 4 ejection against Minnesota threw a wet blanket on his per-game averages because he only played a handful of minutes in those games.

But rest assured, when Wembanyama was on the floor, he was putting upnumbers. Wembanyama was averaging 25.4 points, 13.9 rebounds and 5.2 blocks per 36 minutes headingintoMonday’s Game 1, hinting that a monster 41-23-3-3 outing was within reach. But judging by his more pedestrian 20.3 points, 10.7 rebounds and 4.1 blocks (OK, that last one isn’t pedestrian), you might not have guessed that Wemby made another leap.

Victor Wembanyama has BEEN 'the best player in the f***ing world' — and this is only the beginning

I won’t blame you if your jaw hit the floor watchingVictor Wembanyama score his 41 pointsin the thrilling Game 1 win over the Oklahoma ...
Jimmy Kimmel roasts White House for fan-casting Donald Trump as James Bond: '007 is his approval rating'

Jimmy Kimmel is calling out the White House for suggesting Donald Trump be cast as the next James Bond.

Entertainment Weekly Jimmy Kimmel on Jimmy Kimmel Live! Daniel Craig in 'No Time to Die,' and Donald Trump at the White HouseCredit: Randy Holmes/ABC via Getty; Nicola Dove/MGM; Aaron Schwartz/Sipa/Bloomberg via Getty

Key Points

  • The White House shared a poster of Trump dressed as agent 007 after Amazon announced that the search to find Bond was officially underway.

  • "Grab him by the octopussy! We got a new James Bond in town," Kimmel joked.

Jimmy Kimmelis shaken, not stirred, by the White House recently postingan image of Donald Trump dressed as James Bond.

On Saturday, the White House'sofficial X accountreacted to Amazon’sannouncement that the search to find the next 007 is underwayby posting an image of the president dressed as Bond, James Bond. The black-and-white visual, which appears to draw inspiration from a poster for 2021’sNo Time to Die,sees Trump dressed in a tuxedo and holding a pistol equipped with a silencer.

Kimmel, naturally, had some thoughts on the White House’s fan-casting on Monday’s episode ofJimmy Kimmel Live.

“The White House jumped on the crazy train and posted this, suggesting that Trump would be the next James Bond,” he remarked as the image was displayed on screen. “Grab him by the octopussy! We got a new James Bond in town.”

Daniel Craig as James Bond in 'No Time to Die'Credit: Nicola Dove/Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios

“I think 007 is his approval rating right now,” Kimmel quipped.

This isn’t the first time that the White House has edited Trump into popular film and television franchises.

Earlier this month, the White Houseposted an image of Trump dressed as the Mandalorian with little baby Groguin honor ofStar WarsDay. The image, justlike theStar Warsimagery the White House has shared beforeit, drew swift backlash on social media. "This has caused a major disturbance in the force today. Yikes," one user wrote in response.

In addition to the Bond graphic, Kimmel also reacted to the president posting “a whole bunch of slop” on social media over the weekend, including an AI-generated image of himself walking alongside a really buff alien.

“He posted an image of himself walking with a handcuffed extraterrestrial. Why? We don’t know,” the host said. “All we know for sure is that the alien appears to be doing CrossFit. He’s in very good shape.”

Advertisement

Get your daily dose of entertainment news, celebrity updates, and what to watch with ourEW Dispatch newsletter.

Others, including Utah senator Mike Lee, were also confused by Trump’s captionless alien “photo.”

“Not sure what this means but I’m here for it,” Leewrote on X.

“I’ll tell you what it means, Mike. It means the guy with the nuclear codes is out of his goddamn mind,” Kimmel replied. “That’s what it means. But I’m glad you’re there for it.”

Kimmel also addressed an image Trump posted that included a text box that claimed the 79-year-old looked like he was aging in reverse.

“Uh, you’re not aging in reverse,” he deadpanned. “Wearing diapers does not mean you’re aging in reverse, okay?”

“Imagine being a very unpopular president in the middle of a very unpopular war,” Kimmel later said. “The cost of everything is skyrocketing. Gas is very expensive. And you are spending your time posting online about how hot you are, how you captured an alien, and how you should be the next James Bond.”

Watch Kimmel discuss the wave of strange new Trump images in the clip above.

Read the original article onEntertainment Weekly

Jimmy Kimmel roasts White House for fan-casting Donald Trump as James Bond: '007 is his approval rating'

Jimmy Kimmel is calling out the White House for suggesting Donald Trump be cast as the next James Bond. Key Points ...
'We’re working on it': Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. on Ebola, hantavirus response

Health and Human Services Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. told ABC News on Monday that his agency is working to address the recent hantavirus and Ebola outbreaks, marking the first time he’s commented publicly on the Ebola outbreak since the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) confirmed than anAmerican had been infectedwith the virus in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC).

ABC News

“Yeah, we’re working on it,” Kennedy told ABC News when asked if he was worried about the outbreaks. The secretary’s comments come after the CDC said a “small number of Americans" are directly affected by the current Ebola outbreak in the DRC.

Kennedy did not respond when asked what his message might be to Americans who are concerned about the diseases potentially spreading in America. He told reporters in the Oval Office last week that the U.S. had the hantavirus outbreak “under control.”

“We have this under control and we're not worried about it,” he said at the White House’s maternal healthcare event on May 11th. Kennedy also noted that the CDC has been working on the outbreak since day one.

The CDC said there have been no confirmed hantavirus cases in the U.S. linked to the MV Hondius cruise ship and 18 passengers remain under observation at the University of Nebraska.

Advertisement

American doctor tests positive for Ebola in Democratic Republic of Congo outbreak

Meanwhile, Kennedy's brief comments about the outbreaks came following a roundtable event announcing nearly $1 billion in new funding to states to address PFAS in drinking water at the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) on Monday.

The secretary has been on a midterm blitz recently, touting the administration's Make America Healthy Again (MAHA) movement during stops including Ohio and California.

At a subsequent event featuring Kennedy and other health leaders at the White House, Deputy Assistant to the President for Domestic Policy Heidi Overton stressed that “there are no cases of Ebola in America.”

Deputy Assistant to the President for Domestic Policy Heidi Overton stressed during the event that “there are no cases of Ebola in America.”

“We want to keep it that way and we are doing everything we can to support Americans in the region,” Overton added.

'We’re working on it': Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. on Ebola, hantavirus response

Health and Human Services Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. told ABC News on Monday that his agency is working to address the recent hant...
The network will begin broadcasting the series between …

Advertisement

USA TODAY

ESPN’s plans for Inside the NBA for the Eastern Conference Finals have come into focus.The network will begin broadcasting the series between the Knicks and Cavaliers on Tuesday night. An ESPN spokesperson confirmed to Front Office Sports that the plans for the iconic studio show, which it is licensing from TNT, are as follows:Every ECF game will have a one-hour pregame show, except for Game 3 on Sat. May 23, which is on ABC and will have a half-hour pregame. Halftime of every game Postgame shows will air on ESPN for as long as TNT’s producers decide for them to. ESPN has allotted an hour after each game, but they can go longer at TNT’s discretion. For the ABC game, the first half-hour of the postgame will be on ABC, and it can go longer on ESPN if TNT producers wish. Draymond Green will have guest appearances on two nights during the ECF. As Inside the NBA has transitioned to ESPN under its licensing deal with TNT Sports, some critics have been unhappy that it does not run as long in the postgame as it did previously. However, the length of the show has remained under the purview of TNT producers, and an ESPN spokesperson confirmed to FOS that Scott Van Pelt’s SportsCenter programs can be pushed back as long as TNT wants to keep its NBA show going.

This article originally appeared on Hoops Hype:The network will begin broadcasting the series between …

The network will begin broadcasting the series between …

Advertisement ESPN’s plans for Inside the NBA for the Eastern Conference Finals have come into focus.The network will begin broad...
The world is 8 billion people, so it’s 8 billion …

Advertisement

USA TODAY

Jared Weiss: Asked Victor Wembanyama if he feels he is the best basketball player in the world now: “Do I feel like it right now? I feel tired. But it’s not a question I’m wondering right now. We’ll see.The world is 8 billion people, so it’s 8 billion opinions.”

This article originally appeared on Hoops Hype:The world is 8 billion people, so it’s 8 billion …

The world is 8 billion people, so it’s 8 billion …

Advertisement Jared Weiss: Asked Victor Wembanyama if he feels he is the best basketball player in the world now: “Do I feel like...
Alex Pereira dismisses Josh Hokit nonsense at UFC Freedom 250 press conference

Alex Pereirahad no idea what was going on when Josh Hokit was talking trash to him.

USA TODAY

During theUFC Freedom 250pre-fight press conference earlier this month, rising heavyweight star Hokit took aim at former champion Pereira, who doesn't speak English. UFC lightweight championIlia Topuriajumped to Pereira's defense by tossing an object toward Hokit.

Pereira, who was on Topuria's private plane to visit the White House ahead of their respective fights,reacted to the altercation.

"You guys saw it there. I don't understand English, and I think Topuria felt that he saw that, and he stepped up as a brother," Pereira told MMA Junkie through an interpreter. "Threw the bottle or whatever the case was on Hokit's face. You saw that he was going too far. To Hokit, how am I going to even talk about that guy? Maybe he's one of those that doesn't even get along with his family. You see how that guy has attitude. Maybe he doesn't get along with his brother, stuff like that."

Advertisement

The incident resulted in Hokit being escorted out of the press conference and the event ending prematurely. Pereira expects a lot more security when the pair cross paths again during fight week, but he doesn't plan on engaging Hokit.

"Fight week, after this, we're probably going to have a lot of people around not letting anything happen," Pereira said. "(I'm) just going to stay cool and composed like I always am. If on fight week this guy is able to get to me to try and do anything, it's just messed up by the organization. I'm going to stay the same."

Pereira meets Ciryl Gane for the interim heavyweight title in the UFC Freedom 250 co-main event on June 14. Meanwhile, Hokit takes on former title challenger Derrick Lewis. Topuria headlines the event when he takes on interim champ Justin Gaethje in a title-unification bout.

This article originally appeared on MMA Junkie:UFC Freedom 250: Alex Pereira dismisses Josh Hokit presser nonsense

Alex Pereira dismisses Josh Hokit nonsense at UFC Freedom 250 press conference

Alex Pereirahad no idea what was going on when Josh Hokit was talking trash to him. During theUFC Freedom 250pre-fight press conf...

 

FORTE MAG © 2015 | Distributed By My Blogger Themes | Designed By Templateism.com