‘I’ll be paying this debt off until I die,’ cries mom after receiving Social Security overpayment letter for nearly $15k | 6326T90 | 2024-05-01 17:08:01

New Photo - 'I'll be paying this debt off until I die,' cries mom after receiving Social Security overpayment letter for nearly $15k | 6326T90 | 2024-05-01 17:08:01
'I'll be paying this debt off until I die,' cries mom after receiving Social Security overpayment letter for nearly $15k | 6326T90 | 2024-05-01 17:08:01

A MOTHER had no idea what to do after she received a letter saying her disabled daughter owed almost $15,000 to Social Security.

Kate was first alerted to the debt in the fall of 2023, while her adult daughter received around-the-clock care in a group home.

'I'll be paying this debt off until I die,' cries mom after receiving Social Security overpayment letter for nearly $15k
'I'll be paying this debt off until I die,' cries mom after receiving Social Security overpayment letter for nearly $15k
11 News
Kate, an Iraq war veteran, was told she owes nearly $15,000 to Social Security due to an overpayment[/caption]
'I'll be paying this debt off until I die,' cries mom after receiving Social Security overpayment letter for nearly $15k
'I'll be paying this debt off until I die,' cries mom after receiving Social Security overpayment letter for nearly $15k
11 News
The overcharge was on Kate's daughter's disability account, which she is in control of[/caption]

She explained that the group home went under and didn't cash a check, which boosted her daughter's account above the $2,000 asset limit.

This triggered a Social Security overpayment, racking up debt for two years before it was caught, and Kate was alerted about it.

Not only are they dealing with debt, but a portion of her daughter's check is being withheld, and those funds are vital to her care.

"I'll be paying this debt off until I die," Kate told local news affiliate WPXI.

"Mentally, emotionally, physically, it just wears you down."

Kate, an Iraq war veteran, has overseen her daughter's account since she first received benefits in 2006.

The mother and daughter had never had an issue with the Social Security Administration until 2020.

"I spent 28 years working in the government," Kate said.

"I understand rules. I understand regulations. But I also understand someone, somewhere, at some level, has the authority to override some things."

The news outlet's investigation team took the case straight to the top, reaching out to Martin O'Malley, the head of the Social Security Administration.

                    <!-- End of Brightcove Player -->  

"Regardless of whether or not the overpayment was caused in that case by a home that didn't cash the check, and led to the assets going up in SSI, regardless of the cause of overpayment, when we discover that there is one, Congress says thou shalt take every action necessary to recover that overpayment," O'Malley said.

"But, they give us the ability to grant waivers when it would be contrary to equity and good conscience."

Kate said she had filed a request for reconsideration, but it was ultimately denied. Now, she will file a waiver, too.

"Every day when I get something from them, I want to give up," she said.

"I think this is just so hard. I just don't have any more in me to do this. I'm not the only one. It's maddening and maybe it's designed that way. They don't want to make it too easy."

O'Malley urged her to continue filing waivers and added that anyone in her situation should do the same.

                        <p class="article__content--intro">                  Those who cannot afford to pay back the overpayment amounts noted by the SSA or feel they should not have to can file a specific form.              </p>          </div>  </div>  

A SIMILAR SITUATION

Social Security overpayments happen more often than most people realize.

In a Facebook post, fellow beneficiary Elie explained that he owed $5,208 to Social Security.

"The system penalizes hard work, and now I'm facing a $5,208 charge I can't afford," he wrote.

"We all know Social Security doesn't let people work and get back on their feet.

"They literally allow you to make $200 or penalize you." 

He explained that he had been working overtime to make ends meet, which caused the overpayment.

Elie said he'd "be lucky to have $100" after he paid his bills, "let alone have enough to pay this ridiculous amount."

He created a GoFundMe page to raise money and tackle the debt.

Another Social Security beneficiary was hit with a bill for $7,065 despite saying it wasn't their fault.

A woman said Social Security cut her monthly benefit due to an error on her brother's account.

#ill #paying #debt #off #until #die #cries #mom #receiving #social #security #overpayment #letter #nearly #US #UK #NZ #PH #NY #LNDN #Manila #Money

More >> https://ift.tt/3X2D8WB Source: MAG NEWS

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.